Chapter 5 (p. 61-72)
The stylists of the “Remake Center” change the image of the tributes, incorporating an “on fire” theme instead of the traditional baggy, unflattering coal miners’ costume of District 12. Their costumes bring attention to them and a positive response from the crowd. Cameras focus on Peeta and Katniss throughout President Snow’s speech in the stadium. Katniss and Peeta hold hands for the entire ceremony, but Katniss wonders what Peeta’s real motives are for his kindness.
- How does Katniss describe the Capitol accent? In the “real world,” what do we think of people that talk like that?
- What happened to Katniss at the “Remake Center?” Consider the meaning/”real world” connections of the following quotes:
“You almost look like a human being now.” (p. 62).
"Katniss describes stylists as “Died, stenciled, surgically altered.” (p. 63).
- Why do new comers like Cinna get assigned District 12?
- Compare and contrast the Hunter/Gatherer lifestyle of Katniss in District 12 to Capitol life.
- Describe tradition District 12 costumes and how this year is different?
- How does the crowd react to the tributes?
- Describe the interaction between Peeta and Katniss.